Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Kaikoura Birthday Bash

Had an absolutely fab weekend. My aunty and uncle are both turning 50 this year, and Richard fancies himself as a bit of a party planner - and a party he did indeed plan!

We went up to Kaikoura (beautiful seaside tourist destination famous for crayfish, whale watching and outdoor adventure) on Friday. About 60 guests were invited including Mum, Dad, my bros, Ann and Casey's gf Tess. We stayed at a great backpackers with a brilliant outdoor entertainment area with pool, spa and sauna. We pretty much overtook the backpackers. There was an abundance of beer and wine, with a Thai buffet for Friday night's get to know each other session, and a BBQ for Saturday night.

After a pleasant evening on Friday, woke up bright and early on Saturday to go 4WD motorbiking. A group of 11 went on a 27km journey over amazing farm land, up and down huge hills, tracks, steep banks, and up the rivers. The farm land went right to the coast over looking the massive sea, and a colony of seals at the bottom of the cliff. It was really so awesome, and definitely made me realise how gorgeous NZ is. The start was a bit tentative on the bike, but after a bit of practice, I got really confident and it was really fun. There was also a professional photographer on the trip as the business are making a new brouchure so wanted photos. When I get copies of them all I will post pics.

Saturday evening was the pool party - madatory Hawaiian shirts and leis! Got well and truly stuck into the wines, and must admit got well pissed! I tripped over a big rock trying to get to my brother to have a photo with him, and the bruise hurts! Since it wasn't a birthday (at my uncle's insistance) he got a cake, and we all sang "It's not a birthday to you...!" The night ended with dancing and singing away to the guitars and singing of two mates of my uncle and aunty.

Sunday, wasn't the happiest of days, very slow, very hungover and the windy roads from Kakoura to Christchurch to endure for the trip home - I so remembered why I used to always be sick every time we drove up to that area!

So yeah, if anyone comes out to visit. We should definitely go to Kaikoura and hang out. It's cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home