Thursday, January 26, 2006

Ramble (I apologise)

I’ve been feeling very reflective and nostalgic for Japan recently. I don’t know why exactly, but I think there are plenty of reasons. I think it started at Christmas when I got Xmas cards from two of my elementary schools where I taught with a brilliant and absolutely lovely English teacher, Inoue Sensei. I also got cards from a friend, Kyoko’s students and a wee gift from her. It was so sweet, and made me think of all the other scrappy, wee handmade presents and cards I got when I was in Japan. All those things you thank the kids profusely for, but you know when you get home they will be thrown out (and if not straight away, they were definitely thrown out when I left!). Thru the month New Year’s cards have a arrived from friends in Asa, and around, making me think of the fun I had with them.

When I talked to Louise before Xmas, I didn’t really realise I don’t think of Asa or Yamaguchi much. I guess when I do think of Japan, I think of Jet and friends. But catching up with Louise, it made me think about it again, as the home it was, and the people you’d see often, but of course never know. I wonder if they suddenly realise that I must have gone home! I’ve also been in touch a lot recently with my old supervisor sorting out my pension tax refund. It’s been nice writing Japanese again, and communicating with her, because I didn’t really do much of that when I was in Japan! Ah the days spent silently at the office…!

I realised at the start of the week that this time 6 months ago I was leaving Asa and Japan. I can’t believe it’s already 6 months since I was all packed up, final goodbyes and tears and off to Thailand. It feels like so long ago. Even Thailand feels so long ago… When I left Japan I thought I’d get home, find a job teaching English to get some experience. After a NZ summer, I’d pack up and go to Ireland with Jem and live and work… Hmm, so hasn’t happened! Instead, I fear I have wasted what I learn in the CELTA course, and Jem and her bf Phil are leaving for Dublin in two weeks, and I am working in a call centre until at least Feb 2007!

I do see positives in what I’ve ended up doing. I’ll definitely save money not going now, and coming back for Shaun’s wedding then going back and working in the call centre is giving different experience which will be useful later. I’m going to try and somehow keep my Japanese up. I might study for JLPT again. I am also going to contact some language schools and try to at the very least sit in or assist in an hour or two of classes a week, just to keep my mind thinking about what I learnt in Thailand. I also think I’ll go out flatting at some stage, in a few months. I miss living by myself, or at least independently in a flat, rather than boarding.

Right, that's about enough of my babbling... nigh night xo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home