Monday, February 21, 2005

winter wonderland again...

I woke up this morning and it was cold, and I looked outside to see a good 8cm or so of snow everywhere! Talk about surprised! I knew there was snow expected this weekend, but I thought it was falling and finishing on Sunday. But no, it's still falling outside now. Luckily I was not one of the foolish ones who actually thought winter was on the way out. I knew the fine semi-warm days last week were not to be believed as spring coming just yet...!

So, I am a little tired today after a busy wee weekend. On Friday I went to Shimonoseki to meet with the girls down there, and Sarah, Bren and Christine for pizza. Twas a lovely time. I got home and all I could think about was trying to find an alternative for getting up at 6.15 to get a 7.15am train to Ube, for the UNESCO speech comp, where I would arrive at 7.55, over an hour early..! So finally I was in bed and it dawned on me to check the bus timetable. So I had to get up again and check online. Finally at 2am I could sleep easily knowing I had an extra 30 mins sleep - which I didn't really, since I'd stayed up longer in the end... yeah anyway..!

So Jess and I were the ALT judges at the JHS and HS speech comp. I was quite happy to be invited to judge at this one, as it has a good reputation for good pay and good obento! We were not disappointed! Especially since it finished an hour earlier cos of less participants! But in all honesty, it's a big day. Listening to 34 recitations, and 10 speeches. This comp's favs were "Mother Theresa" and "Echo". Again some of the students I coached were in it, and the "..Little white rabbit...little black rabbit.." girl did really well. I was so nervous for her! Unfortunately if I'd just given her an extra mark she could have got a top 10 certificate..!! It's a big job though eh, very mentally exhausting..!

After that, I got back to Asa and then Jo, Louise and I went to stay in Shuho for the night! Very exciting stuff, esp since it was the first time back since Meag left! The Yamayaki (mountain burning) at Akiyoshidai was meant to be on, but it was postponed and we decided to go anyway, get drunk, and visit the caves. We did both. When we got to Shuho we went an Okoknomiyaki place Osamu wanted to try...scariest okonomiyaki experience I've ever had!! The woman sort of threw everything on the hot plate, then slapped a cow (or pig in Louise's case) on each one, cracked an egg on each and let them cook. When she flipped mine, it was burnt, so she scrapped off the bottom, and applied some more cabbage stuff and tried again!? To finish off she threw a big ol' handful of spring onion on (even Jo managed a few despite saying no!), and she slopped a whole lotta sauce on for us! Very interesting...but ended up being rather yummy!

Back at Osamu's we drank, played cards, listened to music, and yeah got drunk until about 4am! Don't know how it got so late (or early..) but in the morning Selene was not a happy camper..! But I survived and through by the time we went to the caves. They were pretty good. Big, being the biggest in Asia of course they were bigger than the Vietnam ones. But I have to say the Vietnam ones were more beautiful. I don't now it was cos they were lit better, so it kind of glowed or what it was... All the same though, I've finally seen them, and it is pretty amazing that something like that can be created by nature.

After the caves we went to Yamaguchi City for a spot of shopping and wandering around, we ate some lunch/dinner and then us girls got the train home. It was a big day, and when we woke up in Ogori to change trains, we were the only ones left on it, and a station worker was getting on to clean or whatever! Oops! So yeah, good times. This week is going to be busy, and every weekend til Spring is busy too...then the visitors are coming..!! Yay!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home